2017 School Board Elections
School Board Elections - October 16, 2017
Be Part of Important Decisions …
What do school trustees do?
Alberta school boards help shape the future of local communities by governing the education of young people. The provincial government, through the minister of education, grants school boards the authority to make decisions regarding the direction and quality of local public education. Accountability to the public is entrenched through the election of local school board trustees every four years. The school board election is October 16, 2017.
School board responsibilities
It’s up to school boards to ensure all children in the community receive a quality education. Specific school board responsibilities include.
- Communicating, informing and involving parents, staff, and the community-at-large in school board decisions and activities.
- Adopting an annual budget that achieves jurisdiction priorities.
- Setting goals and priorities for the jurisdiction that achieved provincial education standards, meet the needs of students and reflect the community’s wishes.
- Making and enforcing policies that set out standards and expectations regarding the actions of administration, teachers and students.
- Lobbying the municipal and provincial governments on education issues of importance to the jurisdiction.
- Adjudicating policy or decision appeals.
- Hiring and evaluating the superintendent.